събота, 5 ноември 2011 г.

Elephantom 101

Okay, I have a confession to make. I am not a huge fan of Grizzly Bear. I know it's such a hip thing to love that band and as a fan of popular indie trends I'm basically required to enjoy it as well, but I guess it's just not my cup of tea. But boy, do they know how to choose their favorite bands.

Elephantom is a Boston-based band that DIY-ed their first album Swim. Toward the Sun. in 2009 and tossed a CD of it on the stage during a Grizzly Bear show in Vancouver. To their surprise, the band actually sent them an email back praising their music and saying: "we are in Vancouver all listening…thanks so much for sharing this with us. I hope you guys go far.”

Afterwards word on the band that Grizzly Bear was endorsing got out and Elephantom started to get the attention of indie fans and bloggers everywhere. And it's no wonder why - the rich sound of the songs and the wide variety of emotions that they encompass, as well as the wonderful lyrical content of the tracks makes for a wonderful music experience. It's unlike anything I've ever heard (although it's been compared to Danish band Efterklang) and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to hear something different.

‘Citizen of the Earth’ is a perfect choice for a first listen because it actually does sound like an introduction to something epic and grand. It also has one of the best openings I’ve ever heard in a song. Vocalist Trudie Kaiser’s voice reminds me of Genevieve Schatzof Company of Thieves in that they both sound incredibly seductive, which shows the amount of passion they have for their music. You can’t fake this stuff.

I really really hope this band gets more attention. I am desperately trying to get my hands on a CD although they offer most of their tracks online for free. And come on, Elephantom, Spotify is your friend, use it and you’ll get the recognition you so deserve.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар